Friday, September 05, 2008

The Brutal Reality Of Mortality

OK, I should be sat here telling you about all this awesome creek boating this summer's dishing out. Instead I'm sat rather uncomfortably off my face on pain killers! Why? because I did make the most of the summer creek boating...
...One sunny day, we all went off to do the Meltte, it was running at a good medium level, sun in the sky, the warm air making the river appear to steam, Perfect day! All over enthusiastic, I accidentally over boofed the first 15fter landing ever so slightly tail first with my whole body weight directly over the seat. I felt the impact, but didn't think it was so bad, thought I'd got away with it, carried on & paddled the rest of the river, infact went home and carried on same as normal. A week later I couldn't move...

A quick call in to see the doctor and i get sent off for X-ray with suspected compression of the spine. I was lucky no major damage, I had 'just' smashed my vertebrae into each other causing some swelling. My new found mortality has taught me two valuable lessons, if you want to boat hard you need to train hard! and the most valuable complacency is painful!

4 weeks on and i'm still not 100%, paddling is painful, but bizarrely biking is fine! which is handy coz I'd booked up a week in the Alps for some crazy DH fun!
Unfortunately I took a bit of a tumble and cracked a rib! sometimes you never learn!
Stay Safe, and if you cant do that at least have some fun...
Ben