Friday, September 06, 2013

World Freestyle Championships... Days 10 to 11


Just a quick post this evening...

 

Day 10 saw the squirt boating and junior women take to the water. In both these categories we did really well. Ben Aldred and Clare O'Hara of GB both progressed through to the next round in the squirt boating. In the junior women both Kim Aldred and Jen McGaley also progressed through to the final in a very tight prelims. All of these 4 paddlers did really well, particularly Clare O' as she beet her closest rival by nearly 1000 points!

 

Today the men took to the water for the first time. Though 14 heats the aim of the prelims was to cut from over 70 men to 20 for the quarter finals. This was a massive cut and with both rides counting the pressure was on. Luckily the GB athletes showed their talent and all 6 progressed through to the next round. Dane Jackson lead the way in the scores with a massive combined score of 2704 including one 1400 point ride.

 

Tomorrow (day 12) I take to the water for my first world championships! This evening I had the last training session before the competition. This was the first C1 only session and paddling with the 15 best C1 paddlers in the world was a special experience. We all were paddling really well, feeding off each other energy. Its not often such a large group (with such talent) of C paddlers get a feature to themselves for an hour. Some big moves and massive combos went down. I am in heat 3 tomorrow which will be at about 12.30US time (5.30pm UK Time). I am so excited and cant wait to get out on the water. My aim is to go out, have fun and enjoy myself. This for me is the best way to paddle at my best. Whatever the result, I will be really happy if I hit my ride and do my best for Team GB. Remember you can check out the Live Feed to cheer all the GB paddlers on from home.

 

We also have the K1W heats and Mens Quarter Finals tomorrow... should be pretty awesome!

 

Until tomorrow...

 

Josh